Seeds of a Madness Flower

0 Comments Tuesday, November 18, 2014 | @ 5:58 AM
As a bit of a sci-fi geek (a dedicated Browncoat, amongst other things) I was shocked to discover that Cthulhu's had completely passed me by. For those uninitiated into this global geek cult a Cthulhu is a squid like creature created in the fantasy works of H.P.Lovecraft in 1926. But in modern sci-fi has become a jokey euphemism for horror and evil on a great scale. A recent Neil Gaiman short story piqued my curiosity even more.Cthulhu created a mini trend in the world of crafts, with squid and octopus creations becoming extremely popular in amigurumi and jewellery. Which led me to discover these cephalopod inspired creations on Folksy.First up is a stunning print from I Like It I Think Its Nice. The detail in this print is quite outstanding, and wonderfully fantastical at the same time.Here's some of that famous Octopus jewellery I mentioned, this one's on a lovely gold plated chain from Laura's Jewellery.As a lover of all things laser cut (I've even dabbled a little myself) this piece really stood out for me. Mirrored purple acrylic, with a delicate engraving, and Czech glass ink drops, lovely work from Tea Stained Jewellery.Although these little Jellyfish are not cephalopods, their little tentacles were too cute to be left out. Snap one up from Orangefishy Plush.Wear your Octopus love on your sleeve! Well, your hem if you buy this snappy t-shirt from Conkerlove. Loving the button eyes.Create your own under sea imaginary adventure with these Octopus finger puppets from MuNGBEANS. Or you could just wear them whilst reading a Cthulhu novel.Its amigurumi time from Ali's Crafts, a cute little child safe critter handmade with loving care.And finally, the more deadly side of Octopi in this recycled card depicting the venomous Blue Ringed Octopus. Wonderful hand stitched detail from Ethel & Iris.A slightly odd inspiration for this article, but I hope you've enjoyed reading it, and are now aware of the Cult of Cthulhu!P.S. I hope you're having a Happy New Year too.

Labels: , , , , , ,